A first honours graduate of UCC and the Open university, I have a background in music teaching, performance (voice, piano, choirs, accompanist, musical direction, school music teaching) and psychology.
I’ve engaged in extensive vocal training (speech and singing) with world-class teachers including Veronica Dunne, Deirdre Masterson and Catherine Fitzmaurice and I continue to train internationally at masterclasses and workshops. I’m a registered and practicing counsellor, lifecoach, parenting and relationships mentor, coming from this lineage I have a particularly nuanced and deep understanding of people’s struggles with their voices. I have completed original research into teachers’ voice difficulties and the potential of the voice in counselling.
I am currently developing a novel intervention for stammering that integrates the insights of body workers, interpersonal neurobiology and developmental psychology along with more conventional approaches. I’m a music examiner with R.I.A.M.
I offer ‘find your voice’ workshops in community resource centers, schools and mental health settings. I lead team-building events in the workplace.
The Audrey O’Carroll Approach
My approach is broad, integrating many influences, traditional and contemporary, art-based and psychological. I work to open people up to the range, depth, subtlety and beauty of their communication, whether verbal, non-verbal or in singing.
- I attend to practicalities such as power, projection, clarity, undoing vocal blocks and the use of visual aids in presentations.
- I prioritize the integration of mind, body and imagination. As my client, I challenge you to break new ground in whatever area you choose to develop. I’ll guide you to the practical skills and understanding which will serve you well in the future.
- Use your voice effectively with the support of correct breathing and my vocal warm-up routine. Learn to project your voice safely, adjusting it to different spaces. Deal with the anxiety that can affect your vocal delivery.
- If you are preparing for an interview, important speech, presentation, business pitch or an awards ceremony, I will make suggestions to dramatically improve content and enhance delivery. I’ll work with you to ensure you get positive results from meetings, speeches, interviews and presentations.
- I’m happy to go over your presentation at the venue itself to ensure a seamless delivery on the day. Sessions will include tips on answering questions from your audience.